Saturday 6 October 2012

HSCL PREMIER - Baldock Town 2 - 0 Wormley Rovers


Competition: Hertfordshire Senior County League, Premier Division
Level: 11
Teams: Baldock Town - Wormley Rovers
Venue: Top Field, Hitchin

Yes, a trip outside by comfort zone to the dark depths of level eleven, and in the deep south (well, Hertfordshire) too!  I was in London for a party anyway, and stopped over at the in-laws.  I was looking for a local match, and whilst I'd always wanted to get to Top Field for Hitchin Town, they were in FA Cup action away at Hastings United that weekend.  Arlesey Town had looked the best bet, until I realised that buy the time I'd taken the train to Arsesey, I'd have to walk halfway back to Hitchin to get to the ground.  Baldock Town, who play at the North Herts Arena, popped up online, but oddly, their fixture was to be held at Top Field.  A quick browse and double-check confirmed that yes, this was Hitchin Town's Top Field, so I made the fifteen minute walk to Fishponds Road, paid my £3 entry (+£1 for the programme) and settled in for an enjoyable afternoon's football, at the rather unusual kick-off time of 14:30.

The first thing I noticed on my arrival was the crowd, or rather, lack thereof.  Easily the smallest crowd I've ever seen at any event charging entrance, I suspect that there were more involved in the afternoon's proceedings than there were viewing.  This did, however, mean that every shout from the players and managers was very obvious - something that is often missed when one's sat among 15,000+ cheering fans.  Especially notable were the volume of the visiting 'keeper's voice, and a cry midway through the first half of "just fucking go through him - he'd do the same to you" from Rover's manager - which wasn't taken too well by those near me!


The ground itself was quite impressive for this level, even bearing in mind that the ground's permanent residents are at level 7.  There is a stand of all four sides, with a roof over at least part of three of them (the exception being the North Stand (Ickleford Road End) which is a lovely looking "proper" concrete terrace.  Floodlights, in the form of five pylons down either side of the pitch, look a little odd (and I don't fancy working as a part of the maintenance crew!) but I was told, do the job well, and certain aided me in finding the ground if nothing else!

For the first half, I took up my position at one end of the pitch, behind the goal being attacked by Baldock.  An absolute peach of a strike from Bergman ought to have opened the scoring for Baldock after 25 minutes, but the ball dropped onto the bar, however just a few minutes later, he popped up in the area to latch onto a lovely knockback by Furness after a Newton cross, and slipped the ball past the visiting goalie.  The, just two minutes later, Bergman doubled his and Baldock's tally with a great strike from outside the penalty area, a lovely drive slipping past the 'keeper's right hand and nestling into the bottom corner. 

A two goal half-time lead was no less than Baldock really deserved, but credit to Wormley who stuck at it and took the game to them in the second half.  A lovely shot had to be tipped onto the bar by Stilwell in Baldock's goal, but for all their endeavors, Rovers didn't really produce much of an end-product.  A couple more chances fell by the wayside from the home team, who would have been satisfied with their 2-0 win, in spite of it not translating to a higher spot in the Hertfordshire Senior County League Premier Division.

No comments:

Post a Comment